Make a contribution to environmental protection! Remanufacturing reduces CO2 emissions by up to 95 %.
You can extend operating lifetime of your medium and large rolling bearings by having them remanufactured. During maintenance work, many bearings are replaced even though they have not yet reached the limits of their performance capacity. Remanufacturing of rolling bearings may represent an economically attractive alternative as it includes lower life-cycle costs as well as less environmental impact due to the process of renewing of an already existing bearing.
Schaeffler remanufacturing offers several benefits to customers and as a result customer can save both money and reduce the environmental footprint.
To secure the ultimate benefit, the remanufacturing process can be combined with our Condition based maintenance, for instance OPTIME condition monitoring, ProLink and SmartCheck. This combination of technology and service will minimize downtime and maximize the life cycle of the products.
This is remanufacturing
Frequently, new rolling bearings are fitted although the existing bearings could be returned to an as-new condition by means of expert remanufacturing.
The advantages for the customer are as follows:
- Increase bearing service life due to high-quality maintenance work
- Saves material and energy costs
- Lowers life cycle costs (LCC).
- Reduces inventory costs thanks to lower procurement prices
- Short downtime periods due to shorter lead and delivery times
- Less environmental impact due to the process of using an already existing bearing
- Reporting of detected damage
- Almost identical warranty as for new products
- Digitization of the existing fleet via tracking (Data Matrix Code)
- Automated data exchange via web service or e-mail
- Same quality requirements for components and new parts
Prior to remanufacturing, the bearing is dismounted, cleaned and examined. The processing steps required are established and a proposal is prepared. The scope of rolling bearing remanufacturing is subdivided into 4 levels.
Standard bearings up to 425 mm in outside diameter and wheelset bearings for rail vehicles
Bearings with smaller dimensions are regularly replaced during maintenance work, although they could be reconditioned with minimal effort and then used for an additional period. The same applies to the wheelset bearings of rail vehicles. These are among the most heavily loaded of vehicle parts and are subject to regular maintenance. Schaeffler therefore offers operators of rail vehicles the opportunity to have their wheelset bearings professionally dismounted, cleaned and reconditioned.
Large rolling bearings with outside diameter greater than 425 mm
Through professional cleaning and remanufacturing, it is also possible to return larger standard and special rolling bearings to an acceptable, functionally secure condition. In general, the costs for such remanufacturing are significantly lower than the costs of a new bearing – with shorter delivery times in most cases.
The Schaeffler service portfolio applies to:
- All wheelset bearings and cylindrical, spherical and tapered roller bearings up to a maximum width of 180 mm and a maximum outside diameter of 425 mm
- All large size bearing up to 4,2 meter outside diameter
- Products from all rolling bearing manufacturers
The service comprises:
- Professional dismounting, cleaning, failure analysis and remanufacturing of bearings in the Schaeffler Service Center
- Identification marking of each individual bearing before dismounting
- Where required, documentation for each bearing for all maintenance activities carried out
- Possibility to opt for our 100% return service package.
At Schaeffler we can repair most bearing types, including tapered, spherical, cylindrical roller bearings as well as ball and axial bearings. We can even repair bearings from brands outside Schaeffler’s portfolio. Remanufacturing can save as much as 20 to 70 percent compared to the cost of a new bearing and meanwhile it also extends extending the life of the bearing significantly and reduces the external environmental impact of your business.